Frequently Asked Question
Why am I getting popups and how do I remove them?
Last Updated 3 years ago
Most traditional popus are blocked automatically by modern browsers. However, many sites now ask if you would like to receive notifications. This is very handy for sites like gmail or your calendar as it permits them to notify you of new emails or events. The problem is that we have seen many sites abuse this permission and present unintended or even inappripriate ads. If you are using Chrome you can check for sites that are allowed to present notifications and disable them with the following steps.
- Click on the 'three dot menu' in the top right corner of Chrome
- Click Settings
- Scroll down and click on Site Settings under the Privacy and Security section
- Click on Notifications under the Permissions section
- If you would like to prevent sites from asking for permission in the future you can turn off the Sites can ask to send notifications option at the top
- Now you can look at the list of Allowed sites to identify any sites that may have permissions
- Click on the site in question and change to notification option to blocked
- Repeat this for any other sites that you need to change permissions for